Where the Chicago No Kill Bequeathment is Going
December 30, 2012
It was announced this week that an 84 year old man named Sylvester Czopek bequeathed $1.5 million to Chicago area no kill shelters. ABC reports the money will be divided among the following five shelters:
1. The Will County Humane Society is a limited admission shelter that sells dogs for $175 and cats for $100 (no checks) only to people who live within 90 minutes of the facility. So not only are they limited admission, they are also limited adoption. The website indicates a special requirement for cats to be considered for intake:
NOTE: All cats considered for intake need to be accompanied with the recent results of a Feline Leukemia and AIDS test performed by a Vet.
2. The West Suburban Humane Society is a limited admission shelter that sells dogs under a year of age for $200 and cats under a year for $175. They don’t take checks, cash, debit cards or AmEx. So unless you have a Visa or Mastercard credit card, you can’t adopt from them. I could not adopt from them, even if I could afford to pay their fees.
3. The Naperville Area Humane Society is a limited admission shelter that charges a $75 fee to surrender a pet. NAHS sells puppies aged 2 – 5 months for $250 and dogs aged 6 months – 6 years for $200. Kittens aged 2 – 5 months are sold for $125 and cats aged 6 months to 6 years are $50.
4. The Animal Welfare League kills healthy/treatable dogs and cats according to the reports posted on its website. AWL is open admission and sells dogs for $135 and cats for $73 (for one or two cats). The website lists some special requirements for adopters including no puppies or kittens under the age of 3 months to any home with children less than 5 years old, an investigator must conduct a house check for “some of the larger breed dogs”, and if you don’t have a land line phone, you have to bring in a copy of a recent cell phone bill.
5. PAWS Chicago is a limited admission shelter that pulls some of the animals from the city pound and makes the familiar promise that “Chicago should be a No Kill community in the next five years.” PAWS Chicago sells puppies up to 6 months for $275 (plus $75 deposit which is refundable upon proof of completion of an obedience class within 4 months of adoption) and dogs for $200 (plus $75 refundable deposit for obedience class). Cats are sold for $100 – all ages.